- Lawyer Mr. Shaman Jain
- Skills Legal Notice
- CATEGORY Legal Documents
ABOUT THIS PRACTICE
A legal notice is a formal communication with a person or entity apprising them about the legal proceedings which you wish to take against them. This step is taken before opting for a legal step and serves as a warning to the other party.
Many alternatives can be considered beginning with a lawsuit. Some of these alternatives are:
- Negotiation (e.g., an exchange of letters between the parties).
An agreement can be made between the parties outside the doors of court and it is known as a Negotiation. Negotiations may fail but the individual or firm must prefer sending a legal notice to settle the conflict rather than directly filing a suit in the court.
A legal notice consists of everything that a party seeks from its opponent and it may include other necessary clauses too. A legal notice must include the following:
- Brief report of the facts which support the claim.
- Relief sought by plaintiff against each defendant which is mentioned in the legal notice.
- A summary of reasons which resulted in legal actions.
- Draft the legal notice.
- Send the notice to the person against whom you have complaints.
- Mention the cause of the notice.
- Specify previous interactions which resulted in such notice.
- Provide decent amount of time to the addressee such that the matter can be resolved by negotiations and fulfil all the required actions.
- Mention a fixed time duration either fulfilling the requirements or sending a reply for the same.
- A legal notice is sent via Registered post.
- A copy of post office receipt and notice must be kept for any future references.
- INFORMATION: A legal notice reflects your intentions before legal actions actually start. A legal notice apprises the other party about the results of their actions which they will have to face in court.
- WRITTEN WARNING: A legal notice is basically a written warning which notifies the opponent about your plan of action. It developes a sense of anxiety amongst the other party about the possible legal proceedings as a consequence of their actions.
- OUT OF COURT SETTLEMENT: A legal notice also gives an option of settling the dispute out of court with the agreement of the opponent within a specific time period.
- MUTUAL UNDERSTANDING: A legal notice is always recommended over oral communication as this can assist in obtaining desired results. To develop an understanding between two parties a legal notice can prove to be of great help.
- COST FRIENDLY: Sending a notice is a pocket friendly tool yet it is a powerful one. The cost of the notice vary from office to office.
- REMOVAL OF DOUBT: Receiving a reply can settle any doubt regarding the intentions of the receiving party . If a receiving party doesn't reply to the notice within the specified time duration it shows the ignorance of the receiving party and legal measures are recommended in such cases.
- RECORD: In the court of law its a written record that provides a valid relief to the receiving party . The notice can be attached to the legal documents and can be produced during litigation.